Confessions of a Line Cook: who's more important?

Monday, April 5, 2010

who's more important?

every place i've worked has some sort of disconnect between the day crew and the night crew.  as someone who spent nearly all of my 12 years in kitchens working mid shifts (11-8) i've always been able to straddle the line, so to speak, and be on good terms with both the day crew and night crew.  don't get me wrong, i did my fair share of closing,  but for some reason i've always been scheduled in a mid shift.  i think it's so i could cook both lunch and dinner.  anyway.  what i'm getting at is that there's always sniping back and forth between the day and night guys, "these guys didn't stock this" and "those guys didn't clean this"  as a night guy i was forever complaining that the day crew could spill pancake batter on the floor and i had to clean it up, but if i forgot to stock the tomatoes before i closed i'd hear about it the next day.  now that i'm the opener, i see things from a whole new perspective.  and maybe it's the new shifts, or maybe it's the new restaurant, but part of me has totally switched allegiances and part of me is pissed at myself for jumping ship.  i dunno, it's hard to describe.  i love my new hours...i don't mind at all getting up early and going to work early because i know i'll be home at a reasonable hour, and after so many years of odd nighttime hours it's pretty nice to lead a sort of normal home life with my wife.  we eat dinner when the rest of the world does, i find we cook more (as opposed to fast food type stuff), and i don't have to dvr any of my shows anymore, i get to watch them when they're on now.  but there's a part of me that knows dinner service is when the big money is made, and it's when the restaurant is busiest and loudest and most banging and there's a part of me that misses being there, that feels like, knowing how good i am at what i do, i should be there.

anyway, that's not my point.  my point is that as an opener i'm dealing with a whole different set of hurdles at work every day.  nearly every day when i come in, there's at least one bus tub full of dinner dishes, with sauce and ketchup and melted cheese crusted on everything, and the remnants of ranch dressing solidifying in the dressing cups.  the silverware is usually still sitting in the soak bin.  a couple of times here recently there's been a lot of dishes left overnight, so many so that i have to actually run a few loads just so i have clean plates to serve breakfast on.  also it's apparently ok for the night guys to leave the stations unstocked...like, i come in in the morning and flip open the sandwich station and all the cheeses are half full and the mayo is pretty much gone and there's only a handful of mushrooms left, but everything is wrapped, meaning the time was took to saran wrap each six pan, but no time was taken to stock.  i dunno...i know at all the places i closed at, i had to stock my shit at the end of the night.  i'd hear about it the next day if i didn't.  and the kitchens i came up in, whether you were closing or not, you stocked and cleaned before you left.  period.  now i get to work, stock and clean somebody else's shit, cook my shift, stock and clean my shit, and leave. 

it leaves me feeling wierd.

No comments: